Actually, this is a very common practice with carriers--they sell you a pipe
of so many Kbps and it's up to you how you want to carve it up. They set up
one VC in side their network and they switch all cells with the same VPI
value to the appropriate destination. This gives you a lot of flexibility.
If you want to set up two VCs with two distinct traffic contracts to ensure
that two protocols, say, for instance IP and IPX, do not step on each
others' toes, you can do this. If the carrier would have set up a channel
instead of a path, they would have to set up a separate VC--more management
on their part.

In your case, however, I would take one precaution--don't use VCI values
less than 32 (0-31). These are reserved for management purposes. I've seen
some issues with the old Cascade switches where sometimes this would cause
problems with your VC--the Cascade switch, instead of passing them
transparently through the network, tried to process them, causing the
customer all kinds of problems.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Richard Deal
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*  Author of the following Coriolis books: CCNP Switching Exam Cram, CCNP
Remote Access Exam Prep, and CCNP Cisco Lan Switch Configuration; as well as
a CCNP test author for www.equizware.com