I have been asked by my manager to add the ip cef command to the 3 x 2600
router configs, instead of configuring HSRP on two of them.

All I know about this is the syntax which I checked on the doc cd and what
it stands for: Cisco Express Forwarding.

I do not understand what this is actually doing, and how it works, is it
load balancing in some way?

Can anyone pls help, I hate putting commands on, which I do not know the
impact on the network/router/memory etc in a live environment.

Thanks

Rashid