It's possible that the PowerPoint (converted to HTML) slides from Lucent
(!) at this URL will answer your question:

http://www.bicsi.org/Nashville17/index.htm

I always thought that the long stood for a longer wavelength, not just
longer distance. My guess is it will not be compatible with a 1000BaseSX
interface. Can you let us know what you find out though? Thanks,

Priscilla

At 12:06 PM 5/15/01, Scott Donoho wrote:
>We will soon have a lab setup that has two core routers that have GigE
>LX(long haul) interfaces. We need to test connectivity between the two
>routers with a switch in between. The problem is the switch we have has GigE
>SX(not LX) interfaces. The physical cable distance will be very short(under
>400m). My question: will the switch have to have the LX interfaces in order
>for this to work even at relatively short distances? or will the SX
>interfaces work as well. I'm not sure what the difference is between SX and
>LX is at the physical layer. TIA,
>
>         Scott

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com