I was wondering if anybody has ever been able to compare the performance of
routers doing CEF switching vs. fast switching (or one of its variants like
optimum switching) in an environment where routes change rarely (like an
enterprise, not an ISP, as I think we all agree that CEF is very useful in a
highly dynamic environment like an ISP).  Yes, I am well aware of CEF's
advantages, like that you can quickly switch all packets of a flow without
having to process-switch the first packet, that there is greater
intelligence in CEF as regards to subnet masks, and that you can do more
kinds of load-balancing.  All very useful in an ISP environment, I'm sure.

But I have also heard that the CEF implementation still has some bugs,
particularly in the lower line of routers like the 2600.  So my question is,
in an enterprise environment where there are maybe only 10's or 100's of
routes, and those routes rarely change anyway, how much better is CEF really
compared to, say, fast-switching.  If your routers are CEF-able, should you
always have it on, no matter how small your network is?   If not, how large
would you say a network has to be before CEF becomes viable?   Naturally,
there is no hard and fast rule.  I am just looking for a general synopsis of
what people think.

Thanx