It has been claimed that there are several advantages that L2TP has over
PPTP and L2F.  In particular, one of the supposed advantages is that whereas
PPTP and L2F can only be used in an IP environment, L2TP can be used in
non-IP networks.  Cisco doc's make reference to this advantage, and I take
it that this is a  reason why Cisco (and Microsoft, who is a L2TP cofounder)
is pushing it over the other 2 technologies.

 Yet, when looking at the Cisco L2TP commands, I fail to see any way to do
L2TP without invoking IP.  Like when I use the "initiate-to" key-word, the
only choice I'm given is IP addresses.

So, how anybody ever gotten L2TP to work without IP?  Or does Cisco plan to
add this support in the future (which is odd, because I thought non-IP
support was supposed to be one of the advantages of L2TP, and it's not even
supported).