My ISP uses ARAP. Macintoshes dial in using ARAP. There's a DDP/IP gateway
that gets them using a "real" protocol. :-) There are some advantages. If
the Mac users have a Web site at the ISP, for example, they can drag and
drop files to update their Web site using the Chooser and Apple Filing
Protocol instead of FTP. AFP is more secure, easier to use, and doesn't
hiccup around firewalls.

Of course, these Macs could use AFP over IP also and some do. But a bunch
of users still dial in with ARAP.

Priscilla

At 09:33 PM 5/16/01, nrf wrote:
>A followup to my previous question on Apollo/CLNS/VINES/XNs
>
>Has anybody worked on or even seen a network lately (in the past year) that
>uses old dial-up technologies like ARAP, NASI, V.120, and/or switched 56?
>If so, where have you seen them?

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com