From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Erick B.
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 9:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: BGP Route map [7:4730]

Route-maps work in both directions, but many functions
in IOS can reference a route-map.

For more control, use an access-list as well. The one
you posted will set the next hop for any traffic going
across the ethernet interface except locally generated
traffic by the router. Also, the next hop has to be
adjancent to the router (not more then 1 hop away)
else policy routing will fail and normal forwarding
will take place.

For traffic generated by the router to be policy
routed using the route-map, you need to do 'ip local
policy (route-map-name)'.

Example:

route-map redirect perm 10
  match ip address 101
  match interface ethernet0
  set ip next-hop x.x.x.x

This will set the next-hop for traffic on Ethernet0
that matches ACL 101. To control which direction, you
could use the source address of internal users in the
ACL.

For example:

access-list 101 perm ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any

That would change the next-hop only for 10.x.x.x users
going anywhere. Everyone else would take routes in
routing table (normal forwarding).

Policy Routing is like a Super Static Route since you
can route traffic on anything a ACL can match on.

HTH, Erick

--- "Davis, Scott [ISE/RAC]"