You're pretty much there.  To clarify, transit AS's use only fully meshed
IBGP (assuming scalability techniques like Route Reflection and
Confederations also in use) and usually peer internally via loopback
addresses for stability and as you correctly point out, use the IGP to
distribute reachability information for those loopbacks.  Using IGP only
routers for transit might have worked at some point years ago, but simply
doesn't cut it anymore due to the sheer volume of paths in the internet.