Do a show controllers serial x/x to see if the 7000 sees its end of the
cable. Verify that both ends are using the same encaps. Do the same for the
2501. Do you have IP configured? Same subnet? I posted the link to a serial
line troubleshooting page on CCO a day or so ago. Look in the archives. Try
rebooting both routers with the cable attached. Check to see if the 7K
serial card is OK. Try show diagbus (slot number).