>I know I am going to get flamed by the negative people on this list. When I
>joined on this list it was for the study of certification. Whenever anyone
>asks a question related to certification, they get flamed.

Dan, I take your post in a positive sense.  Nevertheless, there are
certain things I do regard as inappropriate, although I generally
don't join in the flame war, or occasionally try to deflect it with a
bit of humor.  When it comes to flaming, I've rarely if ever done it
here. When I was writing one of my books and made a comment about
lawyers, the editor quibbled that it might be insulting to lawyers.
My response was that if it wasn't clear that it was insulting, I'd
make every effort to make the insult unambiguous.

Let me talk about _my personal_ reaction to certain kinds of questions.

1.  "How many questions" and the like -- not really harmful, but I'm puzzled
     what anyone can do with the information. Especially if the test format
     is such that you can't go back (and that _is_ valuable information),
     what can you do other than keep answering questions until you run out
     of time?

2.  Questions directly posted from some review source, with NO discussion of
     what the poster thinks might be the right answer, or why, perhaps, all
     the possible answers are incorrect.  I'm glad to help people work out
     the nuances of specific answers, but I expect to see that they've tried
     first. Otherwise, I get a sense that they are just trying to memorize
     without understanding.

     There also may be copyright issues in directly posting questions.

     As something of a personal note, which I suspect would be echoed by
     most firms that write review materials, if there's a problem with one
     of our questions, it's often more productive to send a query to customer
     service than just posting the question to the list.  Believe me, at
     CertZone, such queries are taken seriously, and usually go to the actual
     author of the question.  I know that there have been times when I
received
     such a query on one of my questions, looked at it, and realized I made
     a typo or logic error.  We promptly let people know about the
correction.
     The question author is in the best position to know what he or she
meant.

     That isn't to say that the review sites should be in the business of
     explaining more detail about a question that is verified correct.  On
     a commercial basis, that would be tutoring. I know I will suggest, on
     occasion, that the person asking direct the discussion to the list.

3.  Closely related to the commercially questionable explanation are the
     posts beginning "my client wants to..."  My immediate reaction is that
     I am usually paid to answer commercial questions.  Of course, my
greatest
     annoyance is when I get this in private mail from someone I don't know.

     That isn't to say that a real-world problem can't be discussed on the
     list as a way of gaining insight. You'll probably notice that I respond
     to quite a few BGP routing policy situations. I do this for several
     reasons.  One, it fits in with my general IETF/NANOG/etc. teaching
     role and role in avoiding Internet problems, and second, these often
     wind up in case studies in my books.

4.  Another problem area is apparent buggy behavior in a Cisco product,
     to which my immediate reaction is "what does the TAC say?"  If the
     TAC has been consulted but didn't give a good answer, the problem
     should be escalated in Cisco -- indeed, how to do so is part of the
     CIT exam.  I can understand asking for bug support for a personal lab,
     but frankly, I would say that anyone without a massive internal support
     infrastructure is crazy not to have at least basic SmartNet.

>There is nothing
>wrong with asking a question, there are no stupid questions.What is wrong
>with helping someone starting out? Nothing (People should check the archives
>first.)

And yes, checking the archives and CCO should be a given.