Greetings All

I think the context of some of the conversation is missing.

BGP can handle any class of address, and in fact the BGP being run on the
net at present (BGP4) is classless. The whole reason for CIDR was that it
was intended to shrink the size of the BGP routing tables. SO them saying
BGP will only work with class C is totally bogus!

BUT

Any ISP running BGP will implement a BGP policy, a hopefully uniform way in
which they do BGP routing and handle BGP peering with their customers.
There may be rules they have set up regarding how they do BGP, and you may
be asking for something outside of the capabilities of their Policy. That
doesn't mean BGP can't do it, it means they do not do that.

As for your having a class A address. Who do you work for? There are only
127 class A addresses, mopst belonging to ISPs or the Government, or
Reserved. I can think of one compnay who has a Class A, HP, they have the
15.0.0.0 network.

However if you have a RFC1918 Class A that you're using that's a whole
different story.

What is your address range, and which ISP told you they couldn't handle
class A addresses?

Inquiring minds want to know

Tom

>Rizzo Damian wrote:
>>
>> Hey folks, I have a quick question regarding BGP. We are looking for an
>> alternative ISP for our Internet. One company we spoke with that offers a
>> 100MB connection, said that in order to use their services we need to
>> implement BGP on our Internet router. We currently utilize a class A
>address
>> on our Internet router, and they said BGP will only work with Class C
>> addresses. I don't know enough about BGP yet to argue this fact, so I turn
>> to you to ask if you agree or disagree with this comment?  Thanks a lot!
>>

>>   -Rizzo
>> FAQ, list archives, and subscription info:
>> Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tom Pruneau
Trainer Network Operations

GENUITY
3 Van de Graff Drive Burlington Ma. 01803
24 Hr. Network Operations Center 800-436-8489
If you need to get a hold of me my hours are 8AM-4PM ET Mon-Fri

This email is composed of 82% post consumer recycled data bits

"Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right"