No problem. I don't have that reference but let me try
to explain. I've had a long day and am beat - this is
a quick response.

The book description you describe and quote sounds
correct. The lowest cost route will be prefered when
inter-area routes are used. If the same route exists
but is an intra-area route then that will be used over
the inter-area route. For intra-area routes lowest
cost route is prefered as well.

In the example you gave, the route you have listed is
an External type 2 route which is neither intra-area
or inter-area so it has different rules.

I think you may be getting yourself confused. Set up a
lab with no ASBR's/redistribution like below.

      e0---R1---e1
       |         |
      R2---e2----R3

R1 e0 and e1 are in area 0.
R2 e0 and R3 e1 is in area 0.
R2 and R3 e2 is in area 1.

R1 and R2 link, set cost to 10.
R1 and R3 link, set cost to 10.
R2 and R3 link, set cost to 300.

Put some loopbacks on R2 and R3 and put them in area 1
and put some in area 1.

Look at your OSPF database after everything has come
up, etc. You should see that to get R2's area 1
loopback from a Area 1 R3 address it will go over e2
instead of going through area 0. This is because
intra-area routes are prefered. Now, if you were to
ping from a network in area 0 on R3 then it will go
through R1 then to R2 because it is inter-area.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://auctions.yahoo.com/