VoIP requires a lot of redundancy, from my experience so far.  Granted, each
site has all it's voice and data trunks going to the same CO.  For instance
in a current install:

12 Small offices (10-20 phones):
4 voice trunks
2 backup BRIs (for extra voice trunks and/or backup data)
Full/Fractional T1 to frame relay cloud

Main site (80 phones):
T1 PRI for voice w/DID
T1 PRI for data (analog dialup users mainly, backup lines for remote BRIs)
Multiple T1s to frame clouds

If all local trunks at a branch are in use, the last line forwards to a DID
on the PRI and forwards back internally to that site.

If the frame goes down, we've got enough BRIs to still function (in a much
more limited capacity, but the VoIP network has priority and won't go down,
data will suffer but still work and is primarilly terminal/text based or
Citrix clients).

We purposely have a small number of trunks at each site (most sites
originally had 6-10 trunks), but part of the goal here is to save money with
less trunks and also do toll-bypass (this customer has
suppliers/customers/sites all over California, Neveda and Oregon).  Also
there is the advantage of faster data paths when the dynamically allocated
VoIP isn't in use.

So far, it seems to work good (only 2 remote sites up so far, working out
kinks with other items like Unity voicemail/faxing and just waiting on frame
circuits to be upgraded).  3 remote sites will probably be brought up in the
next month, so we'll see how well it all scales (shouldn't matter, the
hardest was just getting it all working right with the first 2 remote
sites).

Even though it's not dynamic, if for instance one sites local telco was
having analog trunk problems, we could block all calls from being routed out
those trunks (which I guess you can do in a traditional PBX system, but you
probably wouldn't be doing with key systems which would be going in these
small offices).  We're actually doing that for the second of two sites to
keep the local trunks open for incoming calls as the local telco goofed on a
date to have the trunks forward long distance, so if all 4 local trunks are
in use the 5th+ caller get forwarded to the other 4 trunks no longer in use
and get a "disconnect" message.

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]