On Thu, 24 May 2001, Kigunda Mbogo wrote:

> to answer your question:
> each cafe has its own link to the same ISP. the problem (actually not a
> problem) is to reduce wastage of bandwidth for static web pages and other
> files that would be appropriate to cache. statistics show that most users
in
> the cafe use the net to access yahoo or hotmail mails (of which i know
would
> not be appropriate to cache).
>
> the issue is to share the other static pages like cnn.com and the like
which
> rate second.

Assuming the bandwidth you want to save is on the links from each cafe
to your ISP, and unless you have your cafes connected together with
bandwidth to spare on *those* links, then the only solution is to have
one cache server per cafe. Been a long time since I looked at it, but a
decent Unix-based PC running harvest or squid should be well within your
budget. Or you could go with the cisco devices, if they do what you want
and you're more familiar with them. Dunno where that would leave your
budget, though.

If, OTOH, the bandwidth bottleneck is within your ISP or upstream, and
you can colo a machine with them, you may want to have a single cache
server located there. You will user as much bandwidth on the links from
your cafes to the ISP as you would without any caching external to the
browsers, but you will save more, since all requests for a given static
page will be served by the caching server, no matter how many cafes
request it.

Oh, and the purpose of the list is (also) to help its subscribers learn
about network design issues beyond strictly cisco-related issues, not
just to provide free advice. :-) Accordingly, it's a good idea to cc: it
on all follow-ups. Hope you don't mind my doing so on this.