Great advice.  The only thing I'd add is that the RFC says the minimum TTL
that a caching server has to honor is 2 days.  That means it could take up
to 2 days for it to be reflected globally.

Depending on the line of business (are they a 9-5 shop, or a 24/7 web
presence?), I have two ways of doing it.

9-5, M-F business:
I usually recommend to customers to do this on a Friday at 6pm.  That way by
Sunday 6pm things should be cleared out of caches on a global basis.

24/7 shop:
Bind two IPs to the device, the new and the old (or two private addresses
and have your firewall/NAT take those two private addresses to the old and
new public address).  With this approach, you can do it any time you like as
both IPs are valid and work (make sure you application(s) know to expect
both, of course).  In two days, check all of your slave (secondary) DNS
servers to make sure they're correct, and randomly sample a few ISPs (using
nslookup -q=a foo.bar.com ns1.isp.com).  If it looks good, ditch the
original IP address and continue using the new one.

They key here is to have control of your DNS and/or have folks you know will
change things properly and in a timely manner (and then verify those changes
yourself).  With the 24/7 cutover with two IPs, it's not nearly as big a
deal.  Of course the 24/7 approach assumes that you can keep both ISPs
connected at the same time.  If not, you're stuck with a weekend approach
(or pick the best 48 hours to have potential loss of connectivity).

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]