Just getting started, there are probably some "easier" reads out there but
that book will definitely give you the goods on TCP/IP...

Regarding your question/statement, you are accurate that the "raw" Ethernet
frame format has DA, SA, EtherType, Data, and FCS - to be a valid frame it
just has to be between 64 and 1518 bytes (if we're including the 4 bytes of
the FCS in our calculations) - notice that the top end number is not 1500 -
the common "max" MTU size for Ethernet-attached devices talking IP.  MTU is
a function of L3, not L2.

The IP header will indicate how many bytes of the Ethernet payload is
consumed by IP "stuff" - add this to the 14 bytes consumed by the
destination address (6), source address (6) and ethertype (2) to get the
total frame size (+ plus the trailing 4 bytes for the FCS).  This statement
will be true unless adding all that up equals a number less than 60 (64
w/FCS) in which case the packet will be "padded" with 0's to make it a legal
Ethernet packet.

I think it is generally considered a good thing that packets aren't padded
to the full Ethernet size (or MTU) - it that were the spec, I'm thinking
that ATM would be a lot more popular as a LAN medium.

Hope this helps.

Ben