Hi

It means that the 4003 and 4006 has a L3 module that can provide Inter-VLAN
routing. It might be limited to only provide Inter-VLAN routing on the FE
ports and have full L3 function on the GE ports.

Keep in mind that Cisco is still new to L3 and as such they have not fully
implemented it on all platforms, e.g. the 2948G-L3 is not capable of doing
full ACLs on all ports, just the GE ports, or at least in the last IOS I
used on one.

--
John Hardman CCNP MCSE

""frank""  wrote in message
> What does the following mean ?it's cut from a description of WS-X4232-L3
on
> cisco website.
>

> The Catalyst 4003 and 4006 Layer 3 Services module provides interVLAN
> routing for the Catalyst 4000 family switch and provides Layer 3 switching
> between the Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.
>
> "John Hardman"  wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > OK I'll bite...
> >
> > Yes there is a difference. It gets a little convoluted, but there is a
> > difference.
> >
> > L3 switching: Think of a L3 switch as a multi port router that operates
at
> > wire speed. The 2948G-L3 is an example. It is just a 50 port Ethernet
> > router. So L3 switching is routing traffic at wire speeds. You could use
> one
> > of these to route between VLANs, or route between networks.
> >
> > Inter-VLAN routing: This is a technique, technology that is only used to
> > route traffic from one VLAN to other VLAN(s). It generally takes place
at
> > wire speeds inside a Cat switch with a L3 switch option, but is often
see
> > with routers that do not work at wire speeds.
> >
> > So the bottom line... think of a L3 switch as a device, and Inter-VLAN
> > routing as a technology.
> >
> > HTH
> > --
> > John Hardman CCNP MCSE
> >

> > ""frank""  wrote in message
> > > Any difference?
> > >
> > > "frank"  wrote in message
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > http://www.groupstudy.com/list/cisco.html
[EMAIL PROTECTED]