Rik,

Eeeeeeeeek!  Yep I went off on one there. Mouth into overdrive - brain in
neutral.
I love that embarrassing feeling when you've lost the plot and not realised
until it's public viewing material.
I think users of a certain age should be provided with a "Delete my drivel"
facility, to compensate for senility.

Cheers,

Gaz

""Rik Guyler""  wrote in message

> I think that what you have described is "multi-layer" switching.

> As Howard has mentioned in past posts, L3S is simply a marketing term as
is
> wire-speed switching.  Layer 3 Switching is simply a line card, typically
in
> a chassis-based system, that can make routing decisions (layer 3) using
> hardware-based technology (layer 2).  By not relying on the fundamentally
> slow software decision making, this process greatly enhances the speed at
> which the decisions are made.
>
> There are other types of L3S devices, such as a 2948G-L3.  This switch
uses
> ASICs to make routing decisions within hardware.  When you purchase one of
> these beasts, you basically have a 48-port gigabit router!
>
> Inter-VLAN routing is just routing.  Basically, it can be performed with
any
> routing-capable device so long as you have the appropriate interfaces.
The