Cisco probably chose SNAP for CDP because SNAP is supported on Ethernet,
FDDI, and Token Ring. That probably made the implementation a bit simpler.
Other than that, SNAP doesn't have any advantages that I can think of.

Also, I can't remember the exact details, but sometime late in the 1980s,
the IEEE stopped assigning 802.2 SAPs. SAP is just a one-byte field and
they were concerned about running out. So most newer protocols use the SNAP
SAP and include a SNAP header. Since Ethernet II was supposed to go away
(hah! ;-), and simply using IEEE 802.3/802.2 wasn't possible since they
couldn't get a SAP, they were left with SNAP.

Did I use enough TLAs in that? ;-)

Priscilla

At 06:20 AM 5/30/01, cheekin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Cisco documents state that "CDP can run on all media that support SNAP".
>Does
>anyone know why?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Regards,