Thanks for the reply,

You are correct on your first point.  The post in the archive, by Howard, I
realize it does NOT make mention of dial backup.  I think this is my error,
I need to delete the backup interface command.  I think the dial backup is
meant for a serial interface (frame relay, X-25,etc.), this is because layer
2 can be detected when it goes down.

So I think in the case of ethernet, the alternate is a floating static
route.

I am not going to show the whole config, cause I think the backup command is
the issue.  However if you would like to anyway, let me know.
I will give this a try tonight(if some maintenance downtime is available)
and let you and everyone know how it works out.

Thanks again.
KM