Ronnie,

1. If you mean PVCs in general rather than Cisco in particular then the two
"phases" (I'd say phase is a better term here and less likely to cause
confusion) you're asking about are transfer and idle. Since there isn't any
call setup and termination phase for the link that leaves only the transfer
phase in common. Since SVCs terminate as soon as the data is transmitted,
there isn't any idle time on such links.

2. Frame-relay  - a set of protocols for transfering data in a particular
way. Remember, Frame-relay uses other protocols to perform the assorted
functions.

3. IP RIP funtions pretty much the same in this regard.

4. Partial mesh differs from partial mesh in the number of links, not the
number of routers. Routers merely determine the size of the network, not the
method of linking. Full-mesh means that each router is connected to every
other router directly. Partial-mesh means that fewer links are used. The
benefit to partial-mesh is that its cheaper to provision, easier to manage
and configure, and more flexible.

Hope this helps,
        Karen