Sorry - wasn't paying close enough attention - the message reads 2900 and I
was seeing 2600. Oops!

As for making sure trunking works properly between two switches...Make sure
that the ports on both ends of the link are configured identically. This
means speed, duplex, trunking mode (on, off, desirable, etc..),
encapsulation (dot1q or isl).

The big gotcha I ran across is making sure that both ports have the same
VLAN. After all, they have to be able to talk in order to be able to
negotiate the rest of the connection. It doesn't make sense since the
negotiation is all via layer 2 protocols but the switches were pretty picky
about it. This is where setting up VLAN 1 as the management interfaces/VLAN
came in handy most. Since the default VLAN of a port is VLAN 1, I didn't
have to change it.

HTH,
        Karen

On 6/6/2001 at 2:49 PM Karen E Young wrote:

>The requirements for connecting a router to a switch running multiple VLANs
>have been posted to the list before do I won't go into great detail.
>
>If VLAN 1 has an IP address on the switch then you need to set up an IP
>address for whichever VLAN you want to act as the management VLAN and THEN
>shut down the VLAN 1 interface. However, I've only seen that particular
>setup on IOS switches, not Catalyst OS switches. On Cat OS switches
>(set-based) the management VLAN is determined by the sc0 interface and if
>that happens to be something besides VLAN 1 then VLAN 1 can be ignored. The
>control traffic for the switch protocols will use VLAN 1 unless you
>specifically re-route them to another VLAN. I wrote another post a month ago
>about this (Groupstudy archives -
>http://www.groupstudy.com/archives/cisco/200105/msg00795.html), you might
>want to check it out since it has bearing on your issue.
>
>Config Summary--
>
>On the switch:
>- Make sure that the switch has a management interface set up
>- Set the trunking options for the port to the router (set trunking to "on"
>so that trunking doesn't have to be negotiated)
>- Set port connecting to router as 100Mb full-duplex (To prevent problems
>with auto-negotiation)
>- Set the remaining ports to be used on the switch to their respective
VLANs.