I've seen many things call it simply a "Distance Vector" protocol.
>From what I can tell Path Vector and Distance Vector are the same
thing.......I've also seen "BGP is essentially a distance-vector algorithm,
but with several added twists.".... which could be why it's also called an
Advanced Distance Vector procotol.

So to settle this, let's hit the RFC.......

-------------------------------------

RFC 1774
BGP-4 Protocol Analysis

Network Working Group
Request for Comments: 1774
Category: Informational

P. Traina, Editor
cisco Systems
March 1995

BGP uses an algorithm that cannot be classified as either a pure distance
vector, or a pure link state. Carrying a complete AS path in the AS-PATH
attribute allows to reconstruct large portions of the overall topology. That
makes it similar to the link state algorithms. Exchanging only the currently
used routes between the peers makes it similar to the distance vector
algorithms

As you can see, this RFC is strictly informational, but it's the closest
thing to "the facts" as we have.......

I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time worrying about whether it's Distance
Vector, Advanced Distance Vector, etc.....  Those are just
categorizations....  Once you learn how BGP operates, it's category is moot.

Hope this helps!

Mike W.