To throw in a couple of cents on this topic, my recollection is that the
CCIE written was in many ways similar to the CID exam, but with the added
emphasis on token ring and RIF's.

My own recommendation would be to use your CID materials for the desktop
stuff, download the white papers found on Cccert and groupstudy, and
thoroughly review how data moves through a network.

Certification zone is a worthwhile investment. Excellent white papers
( disclosure - I have been compensated by cert zone for certain work done )

even though it is filled with errors, the exam cram book by Thomas and
associates contains the rest of what you need.

I was surprised to find that the CCIE written was far easier than I
expected. Having gone through the CCNx tracks alleviated much of the
difficulty of the exam.

Fair warning - the Lab will get you. Having passed the written in no way
qualifies you or prepares you for the actual Lab exam. I call the written
"base camp" and the Lab "Everest"  the analogy is about right. You are two
thirds there in height, but that last third is 10 times harder than the
first 2/3's, and your working without oxygen most of the way.

Best wishes

Chuck