Many people use the CCbootcamp lab scenarios to prepare for the CCIE lab. At
http://www.ccbootcamp.com/ there are diagrams of the hardware they rent out
that will be able to accomodate all their lab exercises. If you look at
their hardware layout it will give you a good feel for what is in a well
equipped lab. You may not be able to afford all the items they have (Like
ATM and an ISDN simulator) but most people that i see that are serious about
preparing for the CCIE spring for 7-8 routers and a CAT5000 switch. Some get
by with less some have more. It depends on your situation. There is some
real good info on the CCbootcamp site on what equipment you will need what
books and preperation strategies. I am not at that level yet but it gave me
a good idea of what i should purchase now for my professional certs that
will scale well into a CCIE lab. HTH.

Ed Dombrowski