Amen....... I've had many people studying CCNA, even taking CCNA courses,
where they are told to memorize a table, or some crazy method of remembering
how many bits = how many subnet/hosts........  Geez, just break it into bits
and you'll never go wrong......

Also agreed, that once you're getting into the higher levels of networking
(or programming, etc... anything with computers) if you don't fully
understand binary (which as your point out is *easy*), then you need go back
and work on the binary....