experiment at home last night.  I configured frame relay switching
between a hub and two spoke routers, all three using Cisco encapsulation
and LMI.  Show frame pvc indicated that all circuits were active.

Then on one of the spokes I changed the encapsulation to IETF and then
reset the interface.  To my surprise the circuit came back active and
stayed that way.  I thought for certain that it would go inactive but it
did not.

I then changed the LMI type on the same router to ANSI and the circuit
died a quick death.

So, it seems that the encapsulation type did not effect the circuit
status.  I guess to understand this more I need to find the frame
formats for Cisco and ANSI frame relay.  Perhaps they are slightly
interoperable but one has different features than the other.
Regardless, I didn't expect the circuit to stay up, but it did.

If I later discover why this occurred I will post to the list.

Regards,
John