Agreed. IRDP was not natively implemented in common OSs of routers or end
stations. Perhaps if Cisco had defaulted to it being on, like they did with
Proxy ARP, it would have caught on. Also, it does indeed add extra
overhead. A router running IRDP periodically announces itself using a
multicast frame. A station can also discover its router by multicasting a
router solicitation packet rather than waiting for the next periodic
advertisement.

Priscilla

At 06:29 PM 6/13/01, Hire, Ejay wrote:
>Broadcast intensive and not natively implemented in the most common o/s
>would be my guess.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com