Hi group,

Please just throw more light of this. If I have a block of ip address, can I
use different subnets for different purposes like this:

If my block is 216.73.203.0

1. 216.73.203.0/26   ---- 4 Networks, 64 Hosts each
2. 216.73.203.0/27  ------ 8 Networks, 32 Hosts each
3. 216.73.203.0/28  ------ 16 Networks, 16 Hosts each
4. 216.73.203.0/29  ------ 32 Networks, 8 Hosts each
5. 216.73.203.0/30  ------ 64 Networks, 4 Hosts each.

My desire is to use the item 5 for all my WAN links since it only have 2
valid
hosts per network and the rest for other purposes.

But my problem is if I have use two same IP-addresses but from different
networks (eg one from item 3 and the other from item 4 above) assigned to two
different hosts on both ends of a routable network, wouldn't the system
response with a conflict/duplication of IP-addresses or give some other kind
of error?
 Eg If, I have this scenerio:

Host A = 216.73.203.21 255.255.255.248 (ie a host on network
216.73.203.16/29)
Host B = 216.73.203.21 255.255.255.252 (ie another host on network
216.73.203.20/30)

Questions:
Since both hosts are on both sides of a routable network:
1. Wouldn't there be an IP-address conflict?
2. Wouldn't it be a duplication of IP-address?
3. If I ping 216.72.207.21, which of the two host will reply?

OR
4. Is it that I can only variably subnet a block of IP-addresses once, say
/29
and use only hosts from that subnet and cannot do another subnetting on that
same block when the need arises?

These are my questions.

How I wish someone can clear this, for it will help myself and many other
people in the group.

Rgards.
Oletu