dragi radovanovic wrote:

> i think you mean hooking up an external modem to the either console or aux
> port.
> you would get into the router over hyperterminal, and then just xmodem the
> software into the router.
> Don't listen to geniuses like this Peter Slow guy.
> Have him try upgrading the software over the wan link.

This sounds personal, not technical.

Peter said to use tftp over an isdn connection, you are recommending
analog dial-up, which is sure to be slower! Much slower! The uplink with
a v.90 modem (i.e., if the transmitting modem is connected to an analog
line) is limited to about 32 kb/s, compared to 128kb/s with isdn ....
and its all digital (i.e., very low error rate).

I've used tftp over the wide area and it works great. Well, the
situation was a little different, these were backbone routers at the ISP
where I was working and our slowest connections were OC3. :-)

However, if the remote staff can't even do simple things, its a good
idea to have a modem on an aux port for access if you screw up and you
loose connectivity.

--
Jason Douglas
Lucent World Wide Services