I think you might have oversimplified the process to a degree.
Remember, the issue at stake here was there was "no competent
person" on the other end who could assist.  What's my point?
You have failed to take into consideration Murphy's Law.
Murphy generally wins for those unprepared.

Consider a few issues that may come up and how you would handle
them.

1.  Since you decided to do this operation via telnet (which is
totally permissible), what happens when the router reloads to
attempt to erase the flash (as it will if it is a run from
flash early model 1600 series router)?  Obviously your telnet
connection will be broken until the router reloads.  What
happens if it doesn't reload?

2.  While trying to execute the flash load helper, your router
attempted to erase the flash.  The good idea club shipped the
PCMCIA flash card with the write protect on.  How do you
explain to "no competent people" how to reset the write
protection on that flash card?  OBTW, you are now under the gun
and the phones are ringing.

3.  Fortunately, you anticipated this eventuality and ensured
that the write protect for the flash card was left off. In
attempting to do this operation(flash load helper) you tried to
erase the flash. The flash was erased and the new image was
written.  It fails a checksum.  What now?

4.  Luckily you tested out the new IOS to ensure it was not
corrupted and your attempt to erase the flash was met with
success however, you lost connectivity to the network since you
are no longer routing.  What do you do now?

5.  Fortunately, you anticipated this eventuality and you
figured out how to set a default gateway from RXboot mode.
When you attempt to reach the TFTP server it is on a non-local
segment.  You are noticing that instead of getting a lot of
bangs (!) you are getting misses.  What do you do now?

6.  Maybe you lucked out and the TFTP download works well.  The
new IOS gets properly written to flash.  All appears to go
extremely well.  As the router reloads, you did not anticipate
a bug in this software that interacts with some part of your
config. Unbeknownst to you, the router is reloading every 1.3
minutes continuously.  What do you do now?

7. There are other possibilities I could mention, but this is
enough.  My personal feeling has always been that if it is at
all possible to be at the console of a router during an IOS
upgrade, it is preferable.  The 1600 series does not have an
AUX port, so it would not be possible to set up a modem in the
AUX port.  Besides, you cannot do a password recovery from the
AUX port.  It does have a console port.  Since "no competent
person" is actually using that console port, It might be a
really good idea to strap a modem to that port and configure it
for dial-in remote control of the router.  You probably have
some lying around that are old 28.8 or 33.6 modems that nobody
wants.  They are perfect for the task.  All you need is
something that will do 9.6kbps.

There are certain cautions about attaching modems to console
ports in general, such as "Unprotected modems should not be
connected to the console port. The console ports do not log
users off when the carrier detect is lost, which can leave a
security hole. To avoid this, use a secure modem, or connect
via the AUX port."  This can be overcome by modems that use
authentication, such as a Codex 3260 (if my memory serves me
right).  Or you could just try to induce some competence in
the "no competent people" by faxing them a picture of the modem
and telling them how to turn the power switch on when you need
it (don't forget to turn the power off when you are done).

The console port does not support RS232 modem control (data set
ready/Data Carrier Detect (DSR/DCD), data terminal ready (DTR).
Therefore, when the EXEC session terminates (logout), the modem
connection will not drop automatically; you will need to
manually disconnect the session.

Unlike other async lines, the console port does not support
hardware (Clear to Send/Ready to Send (CTS/RTS) flow control.
It is recommended to use no flow control. If data overruns are
encountered, however, software (XON/XOFF) flow control may be
enabled.

The console port lacks reverse telnet capability. If the modem
loses its stored initialization string, the only remedy is to
physically disconnect the modem from the router and attach it
to another device (such as an AUX port or a PC) to
reinitialize. If a modem on an AUX port loses its
initialization string, you can use reverse telnet remotely to
correct the problem.

A console port cannot be used for dial-on-demand routing; it
has no corresponding async interface(not an issue for your
1600).

The procedures for setting up a modem on the console port can
be found here:

Or you can just telnet in and cross you fingers and hope Murphy
is on vacation :-)

HTH,

Paul Werner

p.s.  (And totally off topic - If any body has any need for any
12000 GSR GSR16/80-SFC switch fabric cards, contact me offline)

> Subject: RE: Reverse Telnet [7:9054]
>
> Reverse telnet?
> how about
> ]#telnet router
> blah
> >enable
> blah
> #copy tftp: flash:

IOS because
> The
> router is in a remote office with no competant staff capable
of carring
> out
> such a task. ( even though this is very straight forward. )
>
> Some one on the study group stated that the IOS upgrade could
be done
> using
> reverse telnet,  I have tried to figure this out for myself
and couldn't
> find enough information
> Im just confused about the hole thing.  Is this Possible.
>
> Im using a C1720 on a Serial 512k Leased Line and remote
router is C1603
> ISDN dialup connection to the Net
>
> Can anyone shed any ligth on this theory? .

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag