Hey cisco guru,

I can't figure out what's connected to what from your description. But,
keep in mind that every router connected to a network segment must agree
exactly on the configuration of that network. Cable ranges, zone names, and
timer values should be the same for every router on the segment. (Ensuring
that zone names are exactly the same can be challenging because spaces and
other non-printable characters are allowed and, if I remember correctly,
zone names are case sensitive.) If you have problems bringing up an
interface, enable the debug appletalk events command to display information
about initialization progress.

It should be fine to have multiple networks in the WAN zone.

It's normal that you won't see any networks until the router can get the
zones  figured out.

AppleTalk on Cisco routers is finicky. Sometimes it helps to shut and no
shut an interface to restart AppleTalk.

If you have access to CertificationZone, I wrote a paper on AppleTalk with
a troubleshooting section. Here's a sampling of the troubleshooting
suggestions:

- Be sure to read the "Troubleshooting AppleTalk" section in Cisco's
"Internetwork Troubleshooting Guide."

- Every network number in an internetwork must be unique. Document the
network numbers you use in cable range assignments to avoid problems.

- When troubleshooting routing problems, use the debug appletalk routing
command.

- When troubleshooting problems with zones, use the debug appletalk zip
command. This command reports significant events such as the discovery of
new zones and the sending of ZIP queries.

- When you change a router or interface configuration, enable the debug
appletalk events command. This command tracks the status of interfaces and
neighbor acquisition. (Very Useful Command!)

- When making configuration changes, be patient and methodical. To play it
safe, before changing a configuration, use the show appletalk neighbors
command to determine a router's neighbors. Disable AppleTalk on routers
that are on the same network segment. Make the required change, and then
wait several minutes before enabling the other routers. This will give the
internetwork a chance to purge old information before it learns new
information.

Apple and Cisco recommend disabling AppleTalk for 10 minutes before making
a change. This amount of time is necessary on large internetworks. A few
minutes should be sufficient in a lab environment. If you really get
impatient, reboot all the routers! ;-)

The process discussed in the last bullet is especially important when
changing zone names. AppleTalk makes no provisions for informing neighbors
in an internetwork about a changed zone list. Routers make ZIP queries only
when a new (or previously aged-out) network appears in the internetwork.
For this reason, it is important to disable AppleTalk on the appropriate
interfaces before inputting new zone data into the system.

Caution: As always, be careful with the debug commands.

Way more detail then you needed probably, but hopefully helpful.

Priscilla

At 02:32 AM 6/22/01, cisco guru wrote:
>Hi,
>I configured 6 routers with appltalk routing and igrp.
>R1 has a cable range of 100-110 on E0 and a zone of CCIE1 and a cable-range
>of 1000-1000 and a zone of WAN for S0.
>R2 has a cable range of 200-210 on E0 and zone of CCIE2 and a cable-range of
>1000-1000 and a zone of WAN for S0.
>R-3 - 300-310 for E0 etc. etc. till R6 - 600-610
>The wan zones are all called WAN and the lan zones are unique.EG. CCIE#
>On R6 I get the following error msg.
>
>"%AT-3-ZONEDISAGREE: Ethernet 0: AppleTalk interface disabled;zone list
>incompatible with 303.6"
>
>Also when I do a sh apple route, I don't see any other appl networks.
>
>On R1 I can see some apple networks and same on R2.
>What am I doing wrong? Are the zone names configured right? How about the
>cable ranges? Are they valid? Sorry, no clue about AT routing :-(
>Would someone please advise on how to fix this problem?
>Thank you.
>Kind regards.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com