I had a real nightmare with Windows ME and HyperTerminal which may or may
not have been related to a change of laptop also.
Try powering down your laptop, then powering it up while the console cable
is connected. (Don't just restart - that doesn't do it).
My com port kept locking out on changing device connections, and a full
power down was the only answer.
I suspect it may have been more hardware than software, but worth a try.

Do me a favour and let me know if it has any effect.

Cheers,

Gaz