Both the Cisco/Stratacom and Nortel/Passport WAN switches have
well-established industry positions. I've worked with both.
Historically, WAN switches -- including other major vendors such as
Ascend/Lucent -- use proprietary provisioning and layer 2 routing
technology.

This, however, is changing significantly with MPLS and Generalized
MPLS (GMPLS). Now, you need to understand that MPLS is not a
replacement for IP routing protocols. I like to think of it as an
"overdrive" to them.

   1.  The IP routing protocols, perhaps with traffic engineering
extensions, figure out the network topology.
   2.  MPLS path setup protocols such as RSVP-TE, LDP, and CR-LDP, set
up label switched paths.
   3.  MPLS forwarding actually moves labeled data units to the next hop.

GMPLS generalizes these concepts beyond the idea of frames and
packets.  Typically with additional path setup mechanisms including
GSMP, it can set up paths that are not aware of packets/frames -- but
work on multiplex time slots (e.g., SONET), wavelengths (DWDM), or
physical ports (arbitrary cross-connects).

So I would argue that a good knowledge of MPLS and its extensions may
be even more important than a specific WAN switch vendor technology.
Unfortunately, most vendor marketeers and course writers focus on
part 3 above -- the forwarding part.  At best, they tend to wave
their hands and say some magic set up the paths.  When I taught some
internal Cisco SE courses on the Stratacoms, I remember turning off
the projector -- with slides totally focused on forwarding -- and
spending 45 minutes introducing the ways in which label switched
paths are created.  IMNSHO, knowing that parts 1 and 2 precede part
3, and understanding all 3 parts, is the real competitive advantage.

>Cisco ofcourse.
>
>StrataCom and the MGX range of switches ROCK.

Seriously -- what about them do you especially like?  I don't think
there's a WAN switch in the industry that has as friendly an
interface as router IOS -- scary, isn't it?