>Yes, WAN connections are almost always full duplex.  I say "almost"
>because there are probably some that I'm not aware of that are half
>duplex.
>
>John

Before frame relay and ISDN were widely available, IBM terminal
networks commonly used polled multidrop analog lines, which are
inherently half-duplex. You still may see this sort of thing on
automatic teller machines, credit authorization terminals, and
various remote monitoring (e.g., utility meter reading), but it's
largely obsolete.

What is worth mentioning, especially to someone in Australia where
intercontinental bandwidth is expensive, is that you can have full
duplex circuits with asymmetrical bandwidth -- say 1 Mbps in one
direction and 128 Kbps in the other. This is entirely appropriate for
applications where you primarily are transferring data in one
direction and just sending acknowledgements in the other.  Indeed,
the "fast" path can go over a  long-delay satellite facility, the
"slow" path can go over low-latency terrestrial, and you may get the
best of both worlds.  This is sometimes called unidirectional link
routing, but that is rarely true simplex -- there needs to be a
control channel opposite the directin of the main data flow.