Actually, I think you've already partially answered your own question.
Recently, I moved to a new location and didn't bother getting any television
hook up (obviously being either cable or dish).  While I feel the "jones"
once in a while to watch TV, it doesn't bother me much.  Back to the
original point: The problem exists in the companies.  In the companies
minds, they ask the questions: what hardware do I have (as opposed to what I
need)?  What software do I have (as opposed to what I need)?  And, most
importantly: "Am I going to make a profit on my investment?".
    I personally believe that Internet TV will be a reality in around five
years.  I will qualify this by saying that I think it will have some
consumer expense tagged onto it - in other words, it's not going to be as
simple as clicking on "Happy Days" or "Family Ties".  Business is business.
If advertisers can't foot the bill, we're talking pay-per-view.  The upside
is that we will (hopefully) be able to see what we want, when we want.  In
other words, while you may have to watch commercials during your favorite
show, you won't have to wait unitl a specific day/hour to see it.