>I know that in ATM aa Point-to-multipoint connection is unidirectional
>only(i.e The root node can transmit to leaves but leaves can't transmit to
>the root or each other on same connection).
>The question is "Is it possible to have bidirectional
>multipoint-to-multipoint connections over ATM backbones?"

No.

Even if it were not ATM, the need for bidirectional
multipoint-to-multipoint is much less common that it might appear.
More common is point-to-multipoint toward the users from the content
source, and multiple point-to-point from the users to a server that,
for example, determines who speaks at what time in an audio
conference.

>and "How to map IP Multicasting protocols over ATM?"

See the following RFCs:

2022 Support for Multicast over UNI 3.0/3.1 based ATM Networks. G.
      Armitage. November 1996. (Format: TXT=189219 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED
      STANDARD)

2121 Issues affecting MARS Cluster Size. G. Armitage. March 1997.
      (Format: TXT=26781 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

2149 Multicast Server Architectures for MARS-based ATM multicasting.
      R. Talpade, M. Ammar. May 1997. (Format: TXT=42007 bytes) (Status:
      INFORMATIONAL)

2191 VENUS - Very Extensive Non-Unicast Service. G. Armitage.
      September 1997. (Format: TXT=31316 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

2226 IP Broadcast over ATM Networks. T. Smith, G. Armitage. October
      1997. (Format: TXT=30661 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)