Wow....  I used the Cisco Press BSCN book as well as the Exam Cram Routing
book as a secondary read.

I appreciate your determination to learn the material for the BSCN, however,
is setting up a lab really necessary?

I know utilizing a lab is pretty much manditory of you want to pass the CCIE
lab, but spending a ton of money on a lab for a $100 exam seems a little
overboard.

But, it seems the 1700 should do what you need to setup a dual home BGP
scenario.  But I could be wrong...  It looks like it supports MBGP, so it
should support BGP too =)

Mike W.