At 05:57 PM 6/25/01, Michael L. Williams wrote:
>It seems interested to note that no one has mentioned that IPX not only
>performs addressing and path determination (layer 3) but can also act as
>it's own conectionless transport too (layer 4) like UDP......

The IPX layer identifies a source and destination socket in addition to
source and destination layer-3 addresses, but it is still a layer-3
protocol in my opinion. AppleTalk DDP also identifies sockets, but it's
layer 3 also. IPX and DDP have the same job as IP. IP identifies the next
layer up also. It has its protocol type field.

IPX RIP does path determination.

>  IPX does HAVE
>to use SPX for transport.....

Not sure if that was a typo, but IPX does NOT have to use SPX for
transport. Most packets in an IPX network do not have an SPX header.

>so IPX is really a Layer3 & 4 protocol

Perhaps what you are getting at is the extra glue between NetWare Core
Protocol and IPX that does things like sequencing and acknowledging.
Protocol analyzers, such as Sniffer and EtherPeek, decode this as part of
NCP. Novell documentation does not put it with IPX. (I have the IPX
functional specification but not any formal NCP documentation). Perhaps
some books put it with IPX. Here's an EtherPeek packet to help you
understand my point:

802.3 Header
   Destination:  00:80:5F:05:77:29
   Source:       00:01:83:A0:28:CD
   Length:       40
IPX - NetWare Protocol
   Checksum:             0xFFFF
   Length:               39
   Transport Control:
     Reserved:           %0000
     Hop Count:          %0000
   Packet Type:          17  NCP - Netware Core Protocol
   Destination Network:  0x00094301
   Destination Node:     00:00:00:00:00:01
   Destination Socket:   0x0451  NetWare Core Protocol
   Source Network:       0x00000001
   Source Node:          00:01:83:A0:28:CD
   Source Socket:        0x4003  IPX Ephemeral
NCP - Netware Core Protocol
   Request Type:             0x2222  Request
   Sequence number:          203
   Connection number low:    123
   Task number:              20
   Connection number high:   0
   Function Code:            62  Alt Dir Search Parameters
Alt Dir Search Parameters Request
   Directory handle:         45
   File Name:
Extra bytes (Padding):
   v.....v           76 0C 14 00 18 00 76
Frame Check Sequence:  0x04004A00

Priscilla

>Mike W.
>
>"Priscilla Oppenheimer"  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > At 12:11 PM 6/25/01, Jack  Nalbandian wrote:
> >
> > >Thank you veery much for clarifying that.
> > >
> > >Pardon my ignorance on Novell stuff, but does this mean, then, that the
> > >ODI "wrap" and IPX "share" the layer 2 functions?
> >
> > No. IPX does layer-3 functions.
> >
> > ODI is just an Ethernet driver. It allows a NIC to be used to carry data
> > for different protocols. For example, ODI allows a computer with a single
> > NIC to be simultaneously connected to both an IPX and an IP network. So,
> > IPX interfaces to ODI. It's a layered architecture.
> >
> > >Also, what is the NWLINK equivalent of ARP?
> >
> > NWLINK is NetBIOS running on top of IPX/SPX. It's just generic IPX. It
has
> > nothing to do with ARP which is an IP function to map IP addresses to MAC
> > addresses.
> >
> > These basic questions belong on the CCNA study list, not this one. Also,
> > find yourself a good protocol chart. Every so often someone sends around
> > link to one.
> >
> > Priscilla

But

Priscilla Oppenheimer