It's not as simple as it sounds, of course. ;-)

A good start might be Cisco's Technology Overview here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/index.htm

That document shows typical header lengths for Frame Relay, ATM, ISDN, PPP,
HSSI, SMDS, SDLC, etc.

Search the group study list for more on Cisco's HDLC header. The HDLC frame
format has been published here a few times.

The exact header lengths will depend on which variety of each protocol
you're using. For example, ATM headers are longer with AAL3/4 than with
AAL5?? (I'm not an ATM expert.) Frame Relay fragmentation headers are
different than vanilla Frame Relay headers.

You probably would want to account for other protocol info that is
overhead: call setup, signalling, SLARPs, LMIs, etc.

Then, lest we forget, the equation depends on how much payload the upper
layers put into frames. HTTP typically uses 400-600 byte packets, as do
many database applications. Voice uses 64-byte packets. Terminal
applications (like Telnet) use 64-byte packets. (A user types the letter A.
The letter A is echoed back, and the echo is acknowledged.)

Large frames (1000-1500 bytes) are typical of file transfer activities,
such as saving files, executing applications, loading word processing
documents, using FTP, etc.. E-mail is pretty impossible to predict.
Attachments would use large frames. Message are hopefully small, but
sometimes they are like this message. ;-)

Then how about upper-layer overhead such as TCP acknowledgements? The
number of ACKS depends on window size. Any retransmissions?

And what else uses bandwidth? Routing protocols? Network management?
Tunneling? RSRB?

So.... Maybe just believe the SE who told you to assume about 25% is
overhead, unless you want to do a real traffic analysis? ;-) 25% seems
believable to me. How expensive is bandwidth? A real analysis might be
worth the work...

Sorry for all the hand-waving, but I'm in a bit of a rush. Hopefully you
see the issues though.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com