"What is the sound, Grasshopper, of one hand clapping?" said the
traditional master.

And the techie student answered, "Start an audio recorder. Clap one
hand. Play back the recording. That is the sound of one hand
clapping."

If there are some critical applications such as ERP, presumably there
are at least LAN-based testbeds for them.  Why not take some actual
measurements, especially that show the interactions of multiple
clients and servers?  I'd try to do this as much as possible on 10
Mbps switched Ethernet, to be at least somewhat comparable to WAN
links.

I suspect you are looking more for utilization than absolute lengths,
but you should be able to do some extrapolation.  As a general
observation in queueing theory, latency starts going up, with
reliable transfer protocols, much above 50% utilization.

At a given MTU level, I suspect the data link header lengths will not
be a significant difference. Signaling? FR and ATM have them, but LMI
traffic isn't all that frequent. Will you be running CDP?

Signaling involved in setting up VCs only occur at setup (surprise!),
and whether they are Q.2931 or PPP, will be lost in the noise if the
circuit stays up for any appreciable time.