>Folks,
>
>Is there a resource somewhere that discusses the theoretical limits of WAN
>links, i.e. for LANs its generally accepted that on a 10Mb LAN, you can
>only realistically expect to get 4Mb.
>
>Regards,
>
>Dana
>CCNP, CCDP, really want my CCIE written...

The classic paper, from DEC WRL, is "Measured and Theoretical
Capacity of an Ethernet."  I don't have a URL, but search engines
should turn it up -- presumably that lab is now part of Compaq.

On a broader level, how theoretical do you want to get? Sooner or
later, any discussion of The Way It Really Works is going to get into
queueing theory and various statistical disciplines.