it's a full slot card - does not use the VIP

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Cotts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 2:24 PM
To: 'Chuck Larrieu'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Cisco gigabit cards - 75xx platform [7:10158]

I take it that you expected 1000Mbs from a gig card? Marketing trumps
technology. BTW how does the backplane of the 7500 deal with that bandwidth?
- or do they only switch between interfaces on the same VIP?
(Too lazy to look myself.)

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/ifaa/pa/ggetpa/prodlit/page_ds.htm

well, the GEIP card advertises a throughput of "up to 400 mbps" while the
GEIP+ advertises a throughput of "up to 800 mbps"

I'm wondering how I can go in front of a customer and with a straight face
try to sell them the enhanced gigabit card at 800 megabits over the regular
gigabit card at 400 megabits.

Giga what?

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have not come across issues like this
for gigabit over fiber before reading the specs on these cards.

Chuck