1. Yes, you can use ACLs to restrict traffic between VLANs (doesn't need to
be a L3 switch - any router supporting ISL or 802.1q will do the trick)
2. Yes, one domain can exist across multiple VLANs
3. No, they are not complicated or difficult to work with, but they do add a
measure of maintenance.  Be sure to keep documentation current when working
with VLANs.  Documentation will help tremendously when troubleshooting or
making changes with the VLANs.

Hope this answers your questions
Sam