For lack of a better way of explaining it, it is brains of the outfit so to
speak. It is where the operating system resides(smart/manageable blades have
their own OS.) It coordinates and manages the Phoenix,  SAINT, SAGE, EARL,
switching decisions, stores the CAM, etc.....

HTH,
MikeN
Network Engineer