managed to get some rack time in this evening. some results:

1) to answer the question about the ping response regarding MTU issues. Yes
there is an "M" response. my lab set up was quite simple - linear, with the
MTU set to 500 on one segment and using extended ping to send a 1500 byte
packet. results:

first - sending 100-byte packets - works just fine

Router_1#
Router_1#ping
Protocol [ip]:
Target IP address: 175.175.1.1
Repeat count [5]:
Datagram size [100]:
Timeout in seconds [2]:
Extended commands [n]: y
Source address or interface: l 0
Type of service [0]:
Set DF bit in IP header? [no]: yes
Validate reply data? [no]:
Data pattern [0xABCD]:
Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:
Sweep range of sizes [n]:
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 175.175.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!! I admire your persistence. A quick look through several IOS versions'
>command references, and the master command reference on CCO all indicate
>that only a particular subset of the commands you mention below exist. that
>suggests to me that any responses other than the documented !.U&?CI may
have
>been put there for the software and networking guys' testing purposes.

I have figured out the confusion. The other codes are for trace, not ping.
Ping just outputs U for most errors, even when the router receives a more
detailed ICMP message.

>also, somewhere in the 11.x range, ping was taken from the system
management
>section to the troubleshooting section, for whatever reason.

It is still in System Management. To find decent documentation on ping you
have to go to:

Configuration Guides and Command References
Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Command Reference
System Management Commands
Troubleshooting and Fault Management Commands

CL: yep - that's where I went

Make sure you don't go to Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals
Configuration, because then you won't see the chart about the character
codes. You have to go to the command reference. Note that this is backwards
from most examples. Usually more detail would be in the configuration guide.

You can also sometimes stumble on information using the search engine which
finds documents in Tech Notes. What if you just want to start with Tech
Notes? What and where are they?

CL:Tech Notes apears to fall under http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/
if you enter numbers after the last / you get various documents titled Tech
Notes. I can't find an index page and trying to fake it with FTP doesn't
seem to work.

CL: ooohhhhh.... lookie here!
http://www.cisco.com/public/technotes/serv_tips.shtml
this may be the source of the tech notes pages. long lost. Cisco just loves
to hide things
check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer