I was recently looking at these two options for connecting branch offices for
an alternative to a point-to-point WAN link. I have in the past implemented
IPsec which by default is in tunnel mode for any packet that doesn't
originate
from the direct peers. However I was reading a bit the other day and came
across the GRE tunnel with IPsec solution and was wondering if this was
legacy, or better option for my situation. Does anyone have a quick pros/cons
response to the 2 scenarios?

Thanks