If you gave the option of Masters or CCIE I'd have to think about it and I'd
almost definitely fall on the side of CCIE, but you gave the option of
Masters or CCNA and MCSE. I would say there is no decision to be made.
I haven't done a Masters, but I would swap it for CCNA and MCSE any day.
Once you've done the masters for free, you could self study for CCNA with a
couple of weeks behind a book, and a wee bit longer for MCSE I should think.
You just need to get in with a company that will let you get some experience
then.

My two penneth.

Gaz

""Jim McDowell""  wrote in message
> I assume you are on a legitimate quest for information and not just trying
> to start another flame session on this list, so I'll open myself up and
give
> you my honest opinion.
>
> Similar situation for me in 1988.  I got the advanced degree and I'm sorry
> did.  Should have gotten a CCIE (assumming I could've done it).  I've been
> working on certs mid 90s.
>
> My reasoning:
>
> 1)  Age is important when you're looking for a job.  People will disagree,
> but...it does matter.  Certification attempts to "train" you to solve
> specialized problems now.  Degree attempts to "educate" you to build a
> "judgemental database" that can be applied to more general problems in the
> long run.  Few degree programs provide "specialized skills" that are
needed
> in the workforce now (engineering degree may be an exception to that, in
my
> humble opinion).
>
> 2)  Many people don't see the difference between "training" and
"education".
> There really is a difference.
>
> 3)  Most importantly, there is more to working than "I make a zillion
> dollars a year and I have blah, blah, blah working for me."  What do you
> really like to do?...because you might be doing it for the rest of your
life
> (maybe you'd rather run a charter boat operation out of the Virgin Is.
than
> ever see a router or have to deal with some employee's personal problems).

> Masters in IT is a technology "lite" degree (big picture), as oppossed to
CS