hi,

YES ,this is a stupid question (I`M ONLY KIDDING)...the only stupid question
is one you don`t ask,,,

the Cisco boxes run IOS " internetworking operating system" ,this is based
around unix( it`s has to be very effcient,small and robust....

windows i`m afraid ,just won`t cut the mustard.

it is not "compatible" with any operationg systems..as such ,but it
understands TCP/IP,IPX,NETbeui,appletalk,NBT..

so it can work with most device`s ( in a moving information capacity from
one pc to another local/Remote pc (switching) and making intelligent (???)
decisions as to how to get one piece of info from one place to another
(routing) OR bieng told how to do this manually by humans(static routing)

the ios is command line only( sort of....you can by GUI packages that will
help you configure them i.e Cisco config maker (good for low end devices)
and CNS good for most devices)....

but i would say that it is command line ONLY  because you`ll be spending
most of your time there anyway...we all do..

most boxes run either a motorolo 68X00series chip or nowadays the risc power
pc chips ....and have NVram as storage ...

HTH

steve
HTH