From: Peter Slow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 1:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: HSRP with RSM [7:11483]

ok.
first, trunk the vlans between the two core/dist. switches.
now.
trunk the vlans to the WS-X4232-L3 modules on the cats.
hsrp interface commands on the interfaces on the "RSM"s on each cat.
they should be communicating now over that uplink.
now, keep in mind that this is a layer-2 connection between two switches.
SPANNING TREE WILL BE RUNNING.
connect those two switches to a third.
ytou now have a triangle.
that third could have an uplink to each switch.
spanning tree will shut one of them down.
my recomendation would be, and this is weird, mind you, to keep all of those
links active (the uplinks).
this could be done by making the stupid little access switch the root...
if these are the only switches in this design, that's fine.
then your hsrp traffic must traverse those two links, instead of a directly
connected link, keep in mind that hsrp works off of a "virtual" MAC address,
think about these implications with regard to spanning tree and that access
switch.
you could also  make one of those 4000s the root and enable uplinkfast on
the access switch.
all of the things you do here have funny implications.
think about it, i could go on for days, but instead ill let you do that, and
ask the resulting questions here on groupstudy =)

-Peter Slow